A few months ago, one of the teams I work with went on the hunt for a good continuous integration service for running tests on the code we write. We jumped on the unit test bandwagon at the beginning of the year and wanted to really amp up the quality of our product by having tests run on every commit. I was tasked with this job (and anyone who knows me knows I LOVE playing with new things, so it was a task I was looking forward to doing)
Most WordPress users are familiar with travis-ci.org and the internets were full of instructions for getting things plugged in and up with travis. Unfortunately, our project is inside a private github repo so we couldn’t use the free travis plan to run our tests on and the premium plan was a bit to pricey for our first attempt at this. So after searching around, I stumbled on circle. From all appearances, circle looked like it would work very similarly to travis and bonus points were that their plans are much cheaper – so great for getting started with.
...This is a preview of
Using circleci.com for automated WordPress plugin testing.
. Read the full post
(1651 words, estimated 6:36 mins reading time)
I thought I was following the development of WordPress 3.7 fairly closely but something totally missed my notice and only caught my attention when a plugin I develop stopped working with the latest version of WordPress.
do_action( 'save_post', $post_ID, $post, $update );
Notice anything different? The difference is that this hook used to only have 2 parameters, “$post_ID”, and “$post” but NOW it has a third one, “$update”. It’s actually a nice addition as it makes it super easy to determine whether the post is being updated or not. However, due to the way I hooked into this action (with a function that had extra parameters on it), Organize Series broke. Easy enough fix, but quirky enough that I thought it deserved a post as I haven’t seen anybody mention this little addition!
I got really intrigued with the wp-cli tool for command line WordPress (seriously awesome, check it out)… however I haven’t switched my osx machine to use the built in php and mysql so I kept getting this error:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
sudo ln -s /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock
And BOOM! I’ve got wp-cli working now.