I just wanted to post a quick update for all of you who use my Organize Series plugin for WordPress now that WordPress 3.0 is out.
The big question of course is “Does Organize Series work with WordPress 3.0?”. The answer is it should but I haven’t tested it completely and have not upgraded my own blogs yet. I haven’t heard of any issues arising from any users yet so I’m assuming that things are okay. As always though, make sure you back up your blog before upgrading if you are a user of Organize Series.
The other reason for this quick update is to let you folks know that I’m in the midst of a pretty major rewrite of Organize Series. Here’s some highlights:
- WordPress 3.0 brought in some much needed love to the custom taxonomies api which makes a lot of the coding I did for Organize Series obsolete and redundant. This rewrite will make OrgSeries leaner, faster and even more future proof against future WordPress updates.
- I’m also going to add some goodies in to this next release thanks to some fine users in the Organize Series community who have mailed me some custom work they built around the plugin for me to include. So there will be new features with this release.
...This is a preview of
Quick Organize Series Update
. Read the full post
(430 words, estimated 1:43 mins reading time)
Just thought I’d put up a quick post to let folks know I am aware of the issues/bugs with Organize Series in the newly released version of WordPress. Unfortunately they are pretty major bugs and I will not be able to push out an update to Organize Series anytime soon. I just don’t have the time. To the impatient folk: I use Organize Series pretty extensively myself on my various blogs so I understand the pain this creates. I’m forced to hold off on upgrading my own WordPress installs until I can update Organize Series so ideally I’d like to get this fix done sooner rather than later but it just isn’t going to happen.
Just thought I’d post a quick update that the current stable version of Organize Series is 2.0.3. Here’s a summarized change set since orgSeries 2.0:
- 2.0.1 – some fixes so that changing the
SERIES_URL definition in orgSeries.php actually works (you can use this to pick how you want the series-archive permalinks to look – important for avoiding conflicts with existing category permalinks…)
- 2.0.2 – fixed Organize Series causing problems with other plugins that create their own top-level menus in your WordPress Administration. Previous to this fix you’d get ‘404’ errors on subpages of those plugin menus.
- 2.0.3 – I noticed that orgSeries 2.0.2 broke the “add series on the fly” feature on write/edit post pages (and also affected the layout of those pages). This release fixes that.
I thought I had nailed all the bugs before releasing Organize Series 2.0 – but of course, as it usually is, once code get’s in the wild all sorts of nasty creatures pop up 😉
If you haven’t yet – I encourage you to download Organize Series 2.0.3.
If you’ve never heard of my Organize Series WordPress plugin feel free to read about it on it’s own nifty page.