PAOC General Conference 2010
Ivan Satatyavrata serves as the Senior Pastor of an Assembly of God church in Kolkata (Calcutta), India. Here are my notes from his message at the General Conference:
Christianity in general is more of a multicultural and global movement than ever before.
- need for Christians all over the world to work TOGETHER.
- John 17:18 (Jesus prayer)
- John 20:21 (commission) – As the father sent Jesus, so he sends US!
“How of Missions”
- it is the manner in which the Father sent the Son that determines the manner in which the church is sent by Jesus
- it’s mission is governed by the manner of His (mission). (Newbigin, Missons in Christ’s way)
- the importance of “as” in what Jesus said. (the father has sent me AS I send you)
- missions is NOT about colonization.
- missions must NOT be done alone!
- missions is not marketing (corporatization)
What is Jesus way for missions?
John 14:21 (Jesus prayer) – one as you and I are one.
- with God and with each other
- must be nurtured in and flow out of our intimacy with God
- need can be a motivation for philantrophy but can never be a motivation for mission
- Mission must be rooted in an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ
John 13:1-5 – washing of feet
- mission IS servanthood
- “if you come to us in the spirit of your master we cannot resist you” (Ghandi writing to E. Stanley Jones – missonary to India)
Jesus prayed that we may all be one.
- such friendship is a non-negotiable if missions is to succeed.
- this friendship is supernatural. Not just two people sharing the same values or in the same club etc.
- friendship is put together by God.
- it involves pain, love etc. (John 15:13-15)