Ivan Satatyavrata serves as the Senior Pastor of an Assembly of God church in Kolkata (Calcutta), India. Here are my notes from his message at the General Conference:
Christianity in general is more of a multicultural and global movement than ever before.
- need for Christians all over the world to work TOGETHER.
- John 17:18 (Jesus prayer)
- John 20:21 (commission) – As the father sent Jesus, so he sends US!
“How of Missions”
- it is the manner in which the Father sent the Son that determines the manner in which the church is sent by Jesus
- it’s mission is governed by the manner of His (mission). (Newbigin, Missons in Christ’s way)
- the importance of “as” in what Jesus said. (the father has sent me AS I send you)
- missions is NOT about colonization.
- missions must NOT be done alone!
- missions is not marketing (corporatization)
What is Jesus way for missions?
John 14:21 (Jesus prayer) – one as you and I are one.
- with God and with each other
- must be nurtured in and flow out of our intimacy with God
- need can be a motivation for philantrophy but can never be a motivation for mission
- Mission must be rooted in an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ
John 13:1-5 – washing of feet
- mission IS servanthood
- “if you come to us in the spirit of your master we cannot resist you” (Ghandi writing to E. Stanley Jones – missonary to India)
Jesus prayed that we may all be one.
- such friendship is a non-negotiable if missions is to succeed.
- this friendship is supernatural. Not just two people sharing the same values or in the same club etc.
- friendship is put together by God.
- it involves pain, love etc. (John 15:13-15)