I just wanted to post a quick update for all of you who use my Organize Series plugin for WordPress now that WordPress 3.0 is out.
The big question of course is “Does Organize Series work with WordPress 3.0?”. The answer is it should but I haven’t tested it completely and have not upgraded my own blogs yet. I haven’t heard of any issues arising from any users yet so I’m assuming that things are okay. As always though, make sure you back up your blog before upgrading if you are a user of Organize Series.
The other reason for this quick update is to let you folks know that I’m in the midst of a pretty major rewrite of Organize Series. Here’s some highlights:
- WordPress 3.0 brought in some much needed love to the custom taxonomies api which makes a lot of the coding I did for Organize Series obsolete and redundant. This rewrite will make OrgSeries leaner, faster and even more future proof against future WordPress updates.
- I’m also going to add some goodies in to this next release thanks to some fine users in the Organize Series community who have mailed me some custom work they built around the plugin for me to include. So there will be new features with this release.
- A much broader api for developers to hook into Organize Series and extend it’s features. This will also lay the groundwork for some exciting things I have planned for a “pro” version of the plugin. There have been a significant number of users that have requested certain features that I don’t have time to code for free but will offer part of a paid upgrade package (built around support) down the road. Don’t worry, the core of Organize Series will always be free and updated.
- The new release will only work with WordPress 3.0+
- I’m taking care to ensure that the new release will be back-compat with people using the template functions etc. in custom designs/development. What that means is that I’m going to do what I can to make sure the new release doesn’t break any custom work based on the older versions of organize series.
Feel free to let me know if you are experiencing any problems with Organize Series in WordPress 3.0 in the comments.
Oh, one more thing, while I am intending to get out the next release of Organize Series before the end of July, I can’t commit to any date because if any more freelance works comes up between now and then that will be the priority.